Friday, June 12, 2009

With Kids...Honesty is the Best Policy...

While driving in the car with the kids this morning my oldest painfully reminded me of something that happened when I was pregnant with his sister...

My son was only turning 4 when I was pregnant with his sister and would constantly look at my tummy and ask "How is that baby going to get out of there anyway?" I just wasn't ready to REALLY answer that question. So I decided that I would just claim that the baby would come out of my belly button. How cute right?

He would look at my belly button and get real worried and always explain how small that belly button was and that baby just can't be that tiny...can it? I would just tell him not to worry and that the Doctor would get her out just fine.

Well, I have been a fan for a while of TLC the "Learning Channel" and had it on that station in the living room while I was getting ready in my bathroom. My son came running into the bathroom, wide eyed....the program on TLC had changed to the Baby Story and was following the delivery of a new, healthy baby...but not out of her belly button!

So with HUGE eyes he says "Mommy that baby is not coming out of your belly button, it's coming out of your bottom!" I felt a twinge of panic as I confessed that yes, he was right, that the baby wasn't coming out of my belly button...

Then the worst of it....My son asks me, "Mommy was that your first lie?"

Ouch!

Note to self, and any new Mom out there....just be honest, or at least honest enough.

No comments: